Wednesday, September 8, 2010

my encounter with homeless druggies

Today after Vespers I took a run around Jamaica Pond, the popular running/workout site down the road from campus. I wanted to go with at least one other person but no one seemed interested because it would have meant eating dinner later and everyone was hungry. When I got back, Irene was like "YOU WENT RUNNING WITHOUT ME??" and I apologized...apparently she wanted to go.

I ate dinner with George - a friend, seminarian, and fellow-Pittsburgher -, Demetri and Andrew. There was a movie tonight (Vindiction, I believe?), but I didn't watch it. Instead, after dinner, I put on long pants (it was getting a tad chilly) and went with Irene, Evan and Athanasios (a seminarian) down to "JP." It sometimes means "Jamaica Pond," but it's also the name of a town down the road (where we went)...not sure what it stands for. It was a 25-minute-or-so walk at dusk, around Jamaica Pond and to the town of JP. We went to CVS where Irene needed to buy stuff. On our way back, we came across four homeless guys...Nick, David, a guy who goes by "Country," and another guy whose name I can't remember. I smelled alcohol and David told us he was rolling cigarettes, but my friends told me later (I'm clueless about these things) that it was weed/marijuana. (Are they the same thing? see...told you I'm clueless) :)

We stopped by an Indian Bistro and got them chicken noodle soup and bread...we figured, since we don't know what they'll do with money, and the Bistro was right across the street, that was better. I told them I'd pray for them. Country asked us if we were Christian. We replied yes, we are Orthodox Christians. He said, "I'm Christian, too...I'm Baptist." We nodded and said it was good that he is Christian.

Some may have a bone to pick with me when they hear what happened next...(first of all, I shook all their hands, including David, who was "rolling cigarettes." Evan told me later that my hand smelled like weed, but I didn't smell anything. I washed my hands back on campus, though) the guys asked us where we lived. We replied that we go to college in Brookline, at Hellenic College (it took Country some time before he understood "Hellenic with an H"). Country asked us, if you are Christians, where do you worship? I told him, "go down Pond Street, go around Jamaica Pond, turn left up the hill, and it's right there." He was still having trouble remembering "Hellenic," so I told him that the sign also says "Holy Cross." He said that was easier to remember. I told him he was welcome to come to our church any time (we do have an open-door policy, as much as some would like to deny it, right??)

Irene wasn't happy that I gave him directions to the school because she doesn't want a homeless person coming into her dorm room or something. While I know there is enough security on campus that that won't happen, I realized I should have told Country that the chapel is in the center of the campus, on top of the hill, and our Sunday service starts at 8:00, rather than basically telling him (in other words), "COME ON CAMPUS ANYTIME!!!" Ok, I didn't do it completely right...I'll remember for future reference, if someone asks where we worship, to give them details.

I've decided never again (never say never, though...right?) to go to Jamaica Pond at night...ESPECIALLY alone! Our group was so scared coming back...it was very dark, we saw a grand total of one other person jogging (it's usually thickly populated), and we realized we should have walked on the side of the road instead. We chanted hymns and Evan rediscovered his love of "The Angel cried" (Russian style).

Tonight was movie night and a basketball game. We randomly decided to do Compline afterwards, and then that turned into Paraklesis and Compline. That turned into Paraklesis and Compline with the Akathist to the Theotokos. THAT turned into, "Melissa's grandfather died...we should do an Akathist for the Departed instead." The final schedule, beginning around 10:35 in the main chapel (as opposed to the dorm chapel), was Small Paraklesis and Small Compline with the Akathist for the Departed in the middle of Compline. At the end we chanted Αγνή Παρθένε. There were seven of us, if I recall correctly.

We have been randomly deciding to do services the past few days...Compline, Paraklesis to the Theotokos and other saints, Communion Prayers, Morning Prayers, etc... After talking with Gabriel (henceforth referred to as Gabe), we decided that this cannot continue. No more "HEY! let's do a Paraklesis in five minutes!" Instead, after assessing our academic/chapel/work life, we then add the extra devotions, with the advice of a spiritual father or two on campus or nearby. Tomorrow classes start, so hopefully it'll start a semi-regular schedule for us...it's been crazy the past few days, but fun!

It's 12:30 and Orthros is at 8:00 tomorrow, followed by breakfast, and my first class!!!!

Καλή νύχτα!

No comments:

Post a Comment