Wednesday, October 6, 2010

hand-kissing; pink underwear; early Liturgies

Wow it's been a long time since I blogged. I don't have a lot of time now, but I just wanted to do a quick update. In the past few weeks, my schedule has been pretty full. Overall I love school. It's work, and it's a LOT of reading, but I hope I'm managing ok...I guess we'll see when the tests come. I've talked to several friends nation-wide about various subjects, from advice-giving, to advice-getting, to mission trips, to chit-chat, and everywhere in between. I wish I had a bit more free time, though. I hope to make a schedule before the end of the week, so I can manage my time and my work.

Prayer life is a bit more regulated than it was at the beginning of the year...as we are all so busy, there is rarely time for the unexpected Paraklesis (unfortunately). Small Compline and Akathist have been set for 10 pm each night, thanks to one of my friends. Have I mentioned that we have a chapel in the dorm? It's in between the men's and women's sides of the dorm, so it's co-ed, and we meet there for reader's services (without a priest). Last Saturday, after Vespers and dinner, we had a real treat. For the first time, Fr. Evangelos, a student priest from Africa (with a really cool accent) served Paraklesis for us in the dorm chapel. It was great!

We had an early Liturgy this morning. There is usually at least one weekday Divine Liturgy each week. Wednesday is the default day when there is no major feast, plus today is the Feast of St. Thomas the Apostle. Liturgy was nice, but I was half asleep, so... yeah. Orthros started at 6:15, I arrived around 6:40, and "Blessed is the Kingdom" was around 7:15. we were done by 8:30, and I took a PLN (Post-Liturgical Nap) before my 10:40 Biblical Heritage class, which was a bad idea because I was awake after breakfast, then I slept and was tired during class.

I have mixed feelings about early Liturgies. They remind me of some monasteries I've been to, where Divine Liturgy is super-early (sometimes 4 am!). I like it early, except when I'm not rested and have to force myself to get up. The plus side is it's Divine Liturgy and it's amazing, and we're out early, in time for a full day of class and stuff. The down side is, I'm often tired and oversleep and get there late. Another plus, though, is that the default celebrant for weekday Liturgies is Fr. Demetri, a hieromonk from Crete, who is a student here. He is an amazing priest, and I love the way he serves the Liturgy. There are no monasteries around here, but weekday Liturgies give me a monastic "teaser," if you will.

A little anecdote: I washed my new red sheets a few weeks ago, and there weren't enough pink and red clothes to fill up the load, so I stuck in some white underwear and washcloths that I didn't care about. Now they have the slightest pinkish hue to them. It's pretty cool :)

I went to a symposium last night, celebrating the 100th anniversary of the birth of Bishop Gerasimos of blessed memory, who lived here for 43 years. I heard stories and WOW he's cool! and holy! and awesome! His 100th birthday is on Sunday, 10-10-10, and this week is dedicated to his memory and talks about him and such.

I've met Fr. Kalivas (sp?) a renowned professor emeritus of the school. He seems like a cool guy, and it's nice that he still comes around and visits. One thing I don't like, though, is that some of the priests around here (Fr. Kalivas included), aren't big on the priestly hand-kissing. Sometimes I'll hold out my hands to get a blessing, and they do a little "teaser" and slap my hands with their right hand, quickly pulling it away. Or one priest refuses completely, with the excuse of "I am not an icon!" I don't want to sound judgmental, I'm just disappointed, as I have tremendous respect for the priesthood and I'm prevented from showing it sometimes.

Now off to get a shower before 5:00 Vespers :)

I hope I blog again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment