Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thursday, June 7, 2012
We had breakfast at 9:00. I went downstairs at 8:30 and took out my clothes from the washer and hung them up. I put my second load in which got taken out during our break later. As we finished breakfast, Nathan and Gabriela arrived with Ana Baba. We said prayers with them and had quiet time. Then we sat in the room where we had done said prayers, and had a 2+ hour review session of the trip. We all said our impressions and our thoughts about Albania and the trip, and then Fr. Luke, Nathan, Gabriela and Ana shared some suggestions for keeping the missionary spirit alive in ourselves and for sharing our experience with others – suggestions for how to proceed with “re-entry” :)
We left a little after 1:00 and went to the Orthodox University Center in Student City. They have someone there who mounts little (2x2-ish) paper icons – I bought quite a few for various friends who love many different saints :)
Typical Albanian hospitality – they had a lot of fruit, sweets and drinks in the other room where we sat and talked, and they gave each of us a little Albanian zipper-purse with a student-made bead cross inside. I also stuffed some of my icons in there for transport :)
We went a few minutes up the road to a student cafeteria and had a very good, cheap lunch with the people from the student center. We returned to the student center and once we all got there, and Ana had called two friends to join us, we all took off for bowling!
As usual I lingered. I was inside finishing buying my icons and being told by various people to hurry up. I walked outside to see the van (full of Americans) pull away. No problem, the Albanians told me. You’ll go with us! That was fine with me – I was spending so much time with the Americans and was glad to spend time with my new-found Albanian friends!
We walked down a lot of back roads that I would not have been able to figure out. We then ended up on a main boulevard and piled into a parked 15-or-so-passenger van that was sitting there. We drove a long way from where we were – 10 minutes. And I thought we were going to walk!
When we got to the bowling alley we split up into teams. I got the biggest size shoe (European 46 or something), which was too small :P I asked, and they let me play in my socks.
Three of us all think that being on the other side of the world has something to do with our skill at bowling. I got 105, I believe, and two teammates also did much better than they expected. We were all surprised. The way I put it is that there is a bowling alley down the street from my house. I bowl enough to know that I’m not very good, but not enough to get better :) Somehow I got the highest score on our team, though! ??
On our way back to Tabor one van stopped at Petro’s icon studio for a little bit. Then we walked around some and went shopping (4 of us had fun getting lost after staying at the icon studio, and then taking a taxi to where the others were walking and shopping). Two of us split the 400 lek ($4) cost of an Albanian flag for the 3rd floor “flag lounge” at school. A small group went to a post office because I think someone had to mail something, and someone else wanted to buy Albanian stamps. We stayed there awhile and when we came out everyone else had left. We got into two taxis and went up to the Tabor Center where the others had just started dinner outside with Bishop Asti.
It was a nice dinner :) I tried a sip of beer (Korça Beer, I believe) but didn’t like it so one of the Albanians drank mine. After dinner I got to “watch” Daniel again which is always a joy! Gabriela and the three kids were with us :) but Nathan wasn’t able to join us :(
I packed as much as I could, got all ready to go to Greece, and went to sleep at 1:30 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment