Thursday, June 14, 2012

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tuesday, June 5, 2012
            We woke up at 6:00 am and used the very Spartan bathroom downstairs. I filled up my water bottle from water that was gushing through a stone wall on the side of the mountain. I remembered the horror story Fr. Luke had told us, that a previous year someone drank from a stream in the mountains and got a parasite that he struggled with for nine months. As I drank the water throughout the coming day I kept fearing I would get a parasite, but I was willing to drink the water because it was literally coming right out of the mountain. I think parasites live in streams, not inside the mountain. But I don't know. Anyway, there were no side effects :)
We said our morning prayers in the church around 6:30 and by 7:00 we were ready to go. Some of the bread from the previous day was eaten the previous evening by some very hungry college students, and the rest was eaten by some of us after prayers, to hold us over until our breakfast on the road.
His Eminence set a very quick pace down the hill from the monastery to the village of Voskopoja. We had trouble keeping up with him. We also had with us Vladimir (“Ladi”), His Eminence’s “deacon-in-training,” who was our trusty go-to for everything. We got to the village around 7:30 and waited around for a bit while we tried to call Lorenz, our bus driver, to put some of our stuff in the bus. His phone was off. Finally Papa Thomas showed up. He is the priest of the village who had been with us the previous night. The girls had stayed adjacent to his house, and they all joined us in the village. Around 8:00 we set off into the mountains under a blue sky, much sun, and a few white clouds, along with Markos, our trusty mule who was carrying all our bags, and his caretaker (I don't remember his name) who is the son of Elias, the monastery guard. It was a beautiful morning.
Around 9:00 it got darker and a few rain drops started falling. It “spitted” for probably about 15-20 minutes. Then the real trouble started.
It was raining. We were several miles into the mountains with much more ahead of us. Our bags were unsheltered on Markos. Some had brought umbrellas and rain jackets. I only had my hoodie over my t-shirt, and a complete change of clothes in my bag, except for shoes. We walked the rest of the way in the rain, the whole time remembering what His Eminence had told us the previous night about not complaining. We didn’t complain. If anything we laughed and marveled. If I could describe the hike in the rain in two words they would be “pretty awesome.”
Sometimes the trail was very muddy. In such cases I took it upon myself to find an alternate route, the road less traveled. I also often took the road less traveled even when the road more traveled wasn’t muddy. I liked finding alternate routes.
I kept worrying about getting struck by lightning, especially since we were up in the mountains often with little tall vegetation around us. I envisioned future groups stopping and saying somberly: “this is where Manoli was struck by lightning.” Especially since the road less traveled was often higher than the road more traveled, with short shrubberies (another. shrrrubbery! [Monty Python reference, anyone?]). I felt like a mixture of Legolas, a mountain goat, a hunter, an orc, and a gazelle. I frolicked across a meadow once. In the rain. That was pretty cool :)
We stopped for breakfast around 10:00 or 10:30 next to some pine trees, underneath Vladimir’s umbrella. His Eminence and Ladi had brought a box full of fried dough that they called “Albanian donuts” (I don't remember the actual name). We also had a few bottles of rose jelly with us, which was interesting. I had it on my first one and didn’t care for it so I didn’t put any on my second. We were allotted two "donuts" per person but some didn’t want theirs, or only wanted one, so I ate three and took a fourth in a napkin in my pocket for later.
At some point we met Fr. Demetri, the priest of Vithkuq where we were headed. He and a companion came with three horses, lifted the bags off Markos and put them on the three horses who had plastic covers to keep the bags a little dryer than they were before. When we said hello to Papa Demetri, we said goodbye to Papa Thomas, who went back with Markos and his caretaker. Fr. Demetri spoke Greek so I talked with him a bit. He has been a priest for eight years. He looks to be middle-aged. He is a very rugged guy. My favorite was him riding sideways on one of the horses  in his cassock - and leading another horse behind him. I also marveled at His Eminence, not that he wore his cassock on the hike - of course - but that he wore black dress pants and a white collared dress shirt underneath, as he would in his office. We seminarians have to do that for church and class at school, and I don't like it - imagine for a hike!!
Our next stop was under a tree, a little after 12:00. Fr. Demetri and his companion, the rugged village people, somehow knew how to kindle a fire in the rain. I wasn’t there when it started so I don’t know how they did it. But they kept adding wood and it kept smoking a lot because of being wet. Apparently the more it smokes, the dryer the wood gets and the more it lights. The fire was a deep red which one of our guys said means that it is a relatively low temperature. Understandable. But it was fire nonetheless. In the rain. We were all floored.
Ladi and Fr. Demetri’s companion also had a burner of some sort a few meters away with which they made Turkish coffee, put it in little plastic cups and gave it to us. When we were done we threw the plastic cups on the fire. Jason cautioned us, “hey! You can’t do that! That’s toxic!” Apparently no one listened. Normally we would have read some psalms at this point but since it was wet some of us who knew it chanted “Blessed is the Man,” and His Eminence said a few words and then we were off again because the longer you stop in the rain the colder you get. We noticed it afterwards – we felt colder than before we stopped.
When we were almost to Vithkuq we came upon a stream. We had to cross the stream twice and actually follow it for maybe ½ a kilometer or a little less. The funny thing was that many of us (myself included) although soaked all the way through – shoes included – took care not to step in the stream but to find a dryer way across. I should have just stepped in the stream. I was being so careful that the group got pretty far ahead of me. It was my bad. They were actually out of sight for a few minutes while I caught up. When Fr. Luke looked back he scolded me and made me stick closer to the group.
We ascended a hill and then were able to see the village of Vithkuq and the Monastery of Ss. Peter and Paul (or of St. Peter, depending on who you ask) ahead of us on the mountainside. We were almost there! The end was in sight – literally! The rest of the people went on a relatively straight path. It had started to clear up but was still raining lightly. I took advantage of the treeless, flat-ish mountainside and frolicked in the grass for quite awhile. The entire hike the scenery reminded me of what I had envisioned when reading Karel Çapek’s novel Hordubal in high school a few years ago – a very weird and depressing story of an affair that results in the husband’s death. It takes place in the Czech Republic. If I could have filmed a movie for Hordubal I would have chosen those mountains!
At the end of a long stretch, and at the foot of the mountain where the monastery is, we arrived at the old, unused church of St. Athanasios. Fr. Demetri had a key so we all went inside and venerated. It’s about the size of an HC/HC dorm room. No iconostasis, but just icons on the wall and an Altar built into the tiny apse. The original church was bigger and dated from the 10th century, if I remember correctly. I don’t remember when this newer, smaller one was built, but it was still pretty old!
We left the horses outside St. Athanasios and began our steep ascent to the monastery of Ss. Peter and Paul.
The monastery is magnificent! It was not used by the communists for other purposes because it is so out of the way. The frescoes are old and not in the best shape but are still intact. They are magnificent! Outside underneath the dome right outside the door is an icon of the Κόσμος (world) figure from the icon of Pentecost, along with signs representing either the twelve months of the year, or the signs of the Zodiac, or both simultaneously (we weren't sure), around him. Around the dome are a few scenes from the life of the Prophet Elias (among them is him beheading the false prophets!). A lot of other awesome icons were around the dome too, and on the wall, but I don’t remember much else. Hopefully people took pictures and can send them to me! There was some defacing and graffiti over the icons but you could see most of them.
Inside the church I think some of my favorites were the Akathist Hymn – frescoes of each stanza – as well as Enoch and Elias (who never died) being slain by the antichrist – a prophecy of the end times when they will return and be martyred (I actually didn’t see this icon but Aaron took a picture and I saw it on his phone). My favorite was probably the icon in one of the small domes right inside the door of the hymn to the Theotokos from St. Basil’s Liturgy, “In thee, O Full of Grace, all creation doth rejoice.” I had never seen an icon of this hymn before. This was one of the most detailed icons I’ve ever seen. It had the Theotokos, I believe by herself, in the center of the dome. Around her was written “Επi σοὶ χαίρει, Κεχαριτωμένη, πᾶσα ἡ κτίσις – In thee, O Full of Grace, all creation doth rejoice.” Then below her in one section of the upper part of the dome was a choir of angels, and also a choir of people, mainly ascetics. Underneath each of these was written, “Ἀγγέλων τὸ σύστημα – the company of angels and “ἀνθρώπων τὸ γένος – the race of men,” respectively. There was also a choir of holy virgins, underneath which was written, “παρθενικὸν καύχημα – boast of virgins.” Then it had an icon of the Annunciation, underneath which was written, ἐξ ἧς Θεός ἐσαρκώθη – from whom God was incarnate,” and an icon of the Nativity of Christ, where was written καὶ παιδίον γέγονεν – and became a child.” I don’t remember what icon it had for “τὴν γὰρ σὴν μήτραν θρόνον ἐποίησε – He made thy womb a throne,” or for καὶ τὴν σὴν γαστέρα πλατυτέραν οὐρανῶν ἀπειργάσατο – and he made thee more spacious than the heavens.” It’s not the whole hymn, and some of it had faded with time so I’m sure in its prime it was unbelievably more gorgeous than it was when I saw it, and more complete! I was still blown away!
The iconostasis, Fr. Demetri told us, is beautiful and is in a museum in Tirana, I believe. Right now they just have basic wooden boards with big hand-painted icons attached to them, and red curtains over the middle and side entrances to the Altar.
We chanted some hymns inside and then went out to the little chapel that was built over the monastery ossuary. The chapel is small, and very low – a tiny bit bigger than an HC/HC dorm room, and the ceiling is several feet lower. It too is covered in frescoes. It is so small that the Altar is built into the apse, and on the front of the Altar is a whale spitting up the Prophet Jonas. The iconostasis also is small – one or two icons on each side, I don’t remember, and only one side door (curtain) on the north side.
In the tiny narthex is a staircase going down to the ossuary. It is very dark down there – no lights, just a small window underneath where the Altar is upstairs. There are a lot of skulls lined up on shelves on either side of the room, and a lot of other bones in a big square area underneath the Altar area. I tried to think of each of these skulls as having skin – and probably a beard and a robe and a hat, since it was a monastery ossuary. Each of these bones belonged to a monk with a story, a life, and a history in the monastery. Who were the bishops? The priests? The deacons? The monks? The novices? The righteous? The sinners? The watchful? The negligent?
None of the clergy came down. I would have asked to do a Trisagion service. I chanted the four troparia of the Trisagion, “Among the spirits of the righteous,” etc. by myself, and then went up the stairs again.
Visiting all these old churches covered in iconography – I keep thinking of the iconographer. Who was he? What is his story? Additionally, in the two monastery churches – the katholikon and the chapel above the ossuary – with all the iconography, I kept thinking of two friends from school (the Romanian and the Puerto Rican), both of whom love iconography and would have been floored by the wonderful frescoes!
After visiting the chapel and the ossuary, Stelio and I went back inside the main church with Fr. Demetri, who talked to us a bit. Stelio took a few pictures. Finally we rushed out because we realized we were lingering too long. It is a pretty long road down the hill but Fr. Demetri knew a shortcut – right down the steep side of the mountain, through the short brush, bypassing the road. It is not a route I would have normally taken, but we were in a hurry. If Fr. Demetri could do it in his cassock – and he is at least 25 years older than I – we could definitely do it in pants!
We got to the bus where everyone was waiting for us (outside St. Athanasios). We all piled into what became a very dirty-smelling bus with all the rain and mud on us. We drove to a trout farm to eat lunch – His Eminence’s treat!
Our problem with having walked in the rain was that my change of clothes in my backpack was wet. Most other people had the same problem. It was still clean, and it wasn’t as soaked as the clothes I was wearing. But it was still pretty wet. I don’t remember what order I did these in but I did all of them – hung clean clothes by the outdoor fireplace/oven to dry a bit; stood by the oven myself to dry a little bit; used the bathroom; changed; stood by the fire some more. Then we ate! Standing by the fire we were all steaming because we were so wet! I was also worried about my books - prayer book, Psalter, bible, Abp Anastasios books for class - but aside from a little water on the edges of some pages, they were fine. They were not ruined, thank God! :)
The trout and all the trimmings were delicious! Again we took leftover berek to be consumed later.
A little bit dryer, our stomachs satisfied, we drove back to Korça, to the Metropolis. Ladi showed us our rooms in the Metropolis guest house. Three of us had a nice room on the third floor. Some others had typical grill spaceheaters in their rooms which they put their wet clothes on and put their shoes next to, to dry out.  Our room was a bit more of an adventure :) We had a gas disc heater, complete with the safety features of a big natural gas tank, a hose, two knobs and a cigarette lighter (notice the sarcasm). One of my roommates first figured out how to flush the toilet: the tank had to be filled with a metal hose coming out of the wall, and then you had to put your hand in the tank to lift up the “doo-hickey” to flush the toilet. Then he turned his attention to the heater. He figured out how it worked and then decided that we needed a lighter. We searched for one in the kitchen to no avail (Nathan exclaimed, “does no one smoke around here?!”). When the military man overheard what we were doing he said matter-of-factly, “do you need a lighter?” “Yes!!” we exclaimed. He had one that was wet from the walk. We set it by another room’s spaceheater for 20 minutes to dry out, and then took it upstairs. We lit it close to the disc and then slowly turned the gas on. The heater lit up and we turned the lighter off. Then we noticed that there was a lighter sitting on the bookshelf above the heater. We felt stupid.
Our heater, while more rustic, proved much more efficient than anything else. My shoes were soaked and wringable. Normally it takes them three days to dry out. By the next morning they were the tiniest bit damp. Good thing because I didn’t have another pair of shoes!
The shower was also interesting. No curtain. That seems to be a European thing. It has a shower hose that sprays water that detaches from the wall. I’m not an expert at showering European-style so I managed by getting wet, soaping up, and rinsing off. I don’t know how the Albanians do it :)
Some people went out around 5:00 to see the city and buy things. I took my still-soaked shoes and went to the cathedral at 6:00 for Vespers, but although it was scheduled it didn’t happen. They told me that one priest was in a meeting with some people and another was sick, so there was no Vespers. Oh well. The church was gorgeous! It’s very new (relatively speaking), and is about 2/3-3/4  covered in brilliant iconography! A lot of people took pictures the next day which I hope to share eventually! The chandelier was massive. Wood! The bottom layer was either as big or bigger than the chandeliers at Holy Trinity in Ambridge PA, or at Ss. Cyril and Methodios at Camp Nazareth. But there were about four layers. As they went up they got smaller but just as intricate!
I left the church around 6:20 and came back to the room where one roommate was asleep. The other was out. I put my shoes and socks back on chairs in front of the heater, along with most of the clothes we all weren’t wearing. A little after 7:00 the rest of the group went out for dinner. I didn’t go with them for several reasons: 1) my shoes weren’t dry; 2) I wanted to stay in the room so that the heater could stay on and more clothes could dry. We had already decided that it was too risky to leave unattended; 3) I wasn’t too hungry. I had some of the berek from earlier and was fine; 4) I didn’t want to be out too late – I was tired and wanted to get some reading done and go to bed early.
Well, I didn’t make the best use of my time. I opened up a picture book about Albania that happened to be sitting in the room and perused it for probably 45 minutes. Unfortunately I couldn’t work on my blog because I had fortunately left my computer in Tirana. If I had brought it, it may have been ruined on the hike. I did very little catch-up reading for our missions class (three pages, maybe?). At first I tried to keep the heat in but then realized that it got way too hot and way too dry to do that so I opened the balcony door, the inside door, and the hallway window to get a cross-breeze. It was a little more bearable that way. I put up with the heat and dryness because I knew our clothes needed to dry :)
The others took forever to get back. The Italian/Russian couple came back around 9:30 or 10, I believe. Some others went to an internet café and to go get dessert, I think. Finally around 11:15 I decided to go to sleep. Most of the clothes were mostly dry so I turned off the heater, straightened the room a little, left Stelio a note of the status of the clothes and what time I wanted to get up, and turned the light out.

No comments:

Post a Comment